Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Ridiculou$


Okay. I know that I have plenty of knitting projects on my plate at the moment, but the new Knitty just dropped and of course I have been spending a bit of time deciding what I want to tackle. Well, I have long wanted to knit myelf a hoodie and there's a sweet pattern called Roam in this issue. Now I am not one to live by the rules that you have to use the yarn that a pattern calls for. I usually don't. But I saw that this hoodie was made of Handmaiden Great Big Sea and had an image of myself swathed in silky, wooly, seacelly goodness this winter so I decided to check it out. I have maybe seen Handmaiden once and I know it's the sweet stuff but I was not prepared for this. A little math so stay with me. The pattern calls for 5 skeins for the smallest size and 10 for the largest size. Great Big Sea retails at around $37 per skein. That could potentially equal a $370+ sweater!!! Now I wouldn't need the largest size but even half that is way more than what I ever put into a sweater. No one I know would admit to spending that much either. I wonder if Knitty realized this when they published Roam and if the chick who designed it actually had to pay for that yarn herself. Don't get me wrong. It is beautiful. But for over $350 that sweater better give me the power of invisibility or x-ray vision or something. Not gonna happen.

No comments: